Saturday, January 16, 2010

An introduction

i am excited to begin a new blog about a passion of mine. i am not sure why i feel compelled to be more self-sufficient, but i do! i keep thinking that it may be a passing phase, but it inspires me daily. ironically self-reliance and freedom are integral to the american dream, but i realize how dependent we have become on our government, corporate america, and medical professionals.

I also have a deep yearning to do real work. i have been thinking about life for far too long and participating in activities without real purpose.

most importantly, i want my children to be conscious about their environment and their health. i want them to have practical knowledge and skills.

i am completely clueless about raising my own food. I grew up in suburban new jersey with little connection to real food or the land. various chronic illnesses were the catalysts for taking charge of my health. this led me to traditional diets and the Weston A. Price foundation . my husband worried that my new traditional food ways were yet another fad diet--i had tried several--but after 8 years, i can safely say that they have become a way of life that has led to greater health and awareness about the importance of growing and eating real food.

i plan to chronicle this modern homesteading journey for myself and anyone else out there who like me, lacks experience, but wants to learn. i love talking with people about the journey, swapping stories and sharing experiences, and i hope my blog will be yet another way to connect with people who want to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment